[clug] Encrypted FS with Ubuntu 9.04

Ian McLeod ianmcleod75 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 3 16:39:47 MDT 2009

I have an alternate install CD here and am getting stuck on manual
partition to set up a dual boot encrypted filesystem.

I already have Windows installed so I can't use the 'use entire disk to
create encrypted LVM option - I need to use partition space set aside.
However, once a unencrypted /boot and encrypted partition is created, I
can't work out how to create encrypted partitions (logical?) within the
encrypted LVM?  Or do I need to create an encrypted partition for each
partition of /swap and /root?

 From reading some guides, they hinted that 'virtual' partitions are
created within an encrypted LVM, so I presume only one password is
needed at boot.

I can't find any instructions that detail this manual step at all (any
links appreciated) - they only deal with the automated option for a full
disk install.

Hopefully the new version of Ubuntu will be easier.