[clug] [OT] Remote control powerboard

Angus Gratton indogus at gmail.com
Wed Nov 25 17:23:04 MST 2009

On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 10:34 PM, Rainer Klein <rklein at tpg.com.au> wrote:
> The remote control is based on RF and comes with 4 buttons. It can be easily
> attached to a key chain.
>
> If you want to control it from your computer, you might want to use Jonathan
> Oxer's idea and use an Arduino board.

In fact, there's already an Arduino library for many of the common RF
remote-control switches.

I recently built a project using a single remote control power point.
The Arduino is wired to a 433Mhz ASK transmitter from Jaycar. Very
similar to a PIC-based design that Bob had posted on the web.

Arduino library: http://www.arduino.cc/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1216065789/3

Power point: http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360196127267

Wireless module: http://jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=ZW3100

That library supports 3-4 slightly different encoding schemes, so
there's a good chance it will work with the power board as well.
Getting the power point working was really simple. I was a tiny bit
disappointed that I didn't have to do any coding from scratch. ;)

Hth,

Angus