[clug] No xorg, seriously, 1024 [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Scott Ferguson prettyfly.productions at gmail.com
Wed Nov 18 16:08:18 MST 2009

Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2009 08:55:54 +1100
> From: <Ross.Wilson at ga.gov.au>
> To: <linux at lists.samba.org>
> Subject: Re: [clug] No xorg, seriously, 1024 [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]
>
> I've usually had to struggle getting Ubuntu to reliably set the screen resolution until very recently.  The installation process gets the resolution right, but when I reboot into the installed system it was wrong?!
>
> Anyway, I just modified /etc/X11/xorg.conf to look something like:
> Section "Monitor"
>         Identifier      "Configured Monitor"
>         Option          "DPMS"
>         HorizSync       24-82
>         VertRefresh     50-85
> EndSection
>
> Section "Screen"
>         Identifier      "Default Screen"
>         Monitor         "Configured Monitor"
>         Device          "Configured Video Device"
>         DefaultDepth    24
>         SubSection      "Display"
>                 Depth   24
>                 Modes   "1920x1200"
>         EndSubSection
> EndSection
>
> For your purposes you probably have to add the HorizSync and VertRefresh entries into the Monitor section, and then add the DefaultDepth and 'Subsection "Display"' bits into the Screen section.  You should put appropriate values into the entries, of course.
>
> Not sure if Ubuntu uses X any more, though, as I haven't had to fiddle with the Koala.
>
> HTH,
> Ross

I have an idea that Ubuntu/Kubuntu uses the same Xorg configuration
scheme as Debian... what another list member described as
"HAL/pixie_dust". Mostly it seems to work, which is useful if your
primary video display changes, but it sometimes doesn't (work). It
(auto-xconf) works on install with several Thinkpads, but on subsequent
reboots the xconf is screwed and you're left with the ALT-WM (ALT-F2,
ALT-F3, etc). I usually kludge it with a populated xorg.conf which
results in a working xconf everytime (slightly faster boot as a bonus).