[clug] No xorg, seriously, 1024

Francis Whittle fudje at grapevine.net.au
Mon Nov 16 22:22:21 MST 2009

You could try adding to your Monitor Section,

HorizSync 28-60

As 1152x864 should start with horizontal sync at 67.5kHz, and 1024x768
generally stops at 60kHz.

This _should_ override any DDC information you may receive.

I'm intrigued, however, by your converter - is it actually the monitor
that only supports up to 1024x768 but reports wrong?  The VGA->Composite
connectors we've made up at home (Sync-on-Green, Sun I3W3, 4-cable BNC)
would just push through whatever sync signals were given....
However, we always were talking to allegedly (but not actually) fixed
sync monitors that did not return DDC info (Mostly Sun monitors, but I
believe there was a sync-on-green NEC in there as well) and had to
supply the modelines by hand anyway.