[clug] [OT] Remote control powerboard

David Schoen neerolyte at gmail.com
Mon Nov 16 14:55:01 MST 2009

This is sort of on topic.

I've solved basically the same problem a slightly different way.

The simplest way is just to get a standard in line switch (like you
get on the cable running to a desk lamp) and run the active wire from
somewhere before it enters a power board and back again. This provides
a very simple (and cheap) "remote", this obviously doesn't help if you
want to move the remote around.

The other more adventurous solution I wired up to one of my PCs is to
have a relay controlling the 240V active wire from a 12V+ wire in the
PC (I used a plug that fits one of the fdd power connectors that were
going unused). Using a NO (normally open) relay means there is
absolutely no power being used when the PC is off. Setting the bios to
boot after power failure and putting a NO switch as an override for
the relay results in standard one button push power up :) Even if the
power button is in a slightly strange place.

Cheers,
Dave