[clug] Measuring Bandwidth usage by Application Protocol

Steve McInerney steve at stedee.id.au
Thu Nov 12 01:43:21 MST 2009

On Wed, 2009-11-11 at 14:33 +1100, jm wrote:

> Steve McInerney wrote:
> > http://www.stedee.id.au/Apache_WebSite_Responsiveness
> >
> > is a more detailed one of futzing around with apache logs to extract
> > info.
> >

> Interesting read. On the latter one (Apache Website Responsiveness) I
> would have though you add box plots and standard deviation on a per
> period basis, eg day, into the mix. That's just me though and you've got
> to remember your audience.

No, that's damn good advice.
I didn't do that, because my statistics knowledge is fairly low; so was
working within what I knew.

I guess at the end of the day, the idea from this sort of analysis is to
wind up with a series of "data" that in turn drives actions to take to
fix whatever.

In the inital case I did this for apache, it was "ZOMG! SLOW!!!" so we
have a massive effort to make pages faster. We achieved that goal, so it
wasn't such a big deal to go on.

Keeping in mind we also had (still have?) several additional monitoring
point, nagios into rrd etc so we had continual monitoring of page speed,
above and beyond this "every few months" analysis.

Cheers!
- Steve