[clug] Measuring Bandwidth usage by Application Protocol

jm jeffm at ghostgun.com
Tue Nov 10 20:33:16 MST 2009

Steve McInerney wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-11-05 at 09:07 +1100, jm wrote:
>
>>> I've used it to get summary info and then pull that into R for detailed
>>> statistical analysis.
>>>

>> This is what I'm trying to do. Get raw numbers to drag into R where I
>> can manipulate/play with them. So far I'm only been able to do this with
>> numbers exported from cacti and was hoping for something a little more
>> detailed so as to investigate individual users, protocol, autonomous
>> systems, etc. Can you comment further on how your using R or can you
>> point to any useful information on networks traffic and analysis with R.
>>

> Sure. Sorry for the delay, life intruded as it so often does.

Life's a bit like that.
> Keeping in mind it's been about 2 years since I've last done this in
> anger, so I haven't got any notes on the detail unf.
>

> The general gist is reduce the data down to something "interesting" and
> fiddle from there. Export to a format that R can deal with; import;
> display as a percentile graph - I've found for this stuff percentiles
> FTW - emphatically over avg etc.
>
> Use various filters to exclude noise. eg within argus, awk! or R itself.
>
> http://www.stedee.id.au/2007/09-29/advanced_sysadmin_troubleshooting_slow_websites
>
> is a very very high level "howto" of ... how to. :-)
>
> http://www.stedee.id.au/Apache_WebSite_Responsiveness
>
> is a more detailed one of futzing around with apache logs to extract
> info.

Interesting read. On the latter one (Apache Website Responsiveness) I
would have though you add box plots and standard deviation on a per
period basis, eg day, into the mix. That's just me though and you've got
to remember your audience. Lead to a couple of extra tools I'd not heard
of as well, but nothing to be surprised at there I suppose as there's
more tools out there than one can be familiar with.

Jeff.