[clug] Has anyone got a recent nVidia card working multi-resolution?

Hal Ashburner hal.ashburner at gmail.com
Fri May 22 11:59:14 GMT 2009

Andrew Janke wrote:
>> The ncurses-based dialogue started by NVIDIA-Linux-x86-180.51-pkg1.run tells me
>> about the problem (sorry but I would have to stop X to try it again). I'm quite
>> happy to build a kernel, just kept going until past my bedtime last night :-/

I think this is probably X telling it it failed to start and showing
some part of /var/log/Xorg.0.log, that would be a good place to start
looking regardless.
Make sure you've got your kernel source symlinked to /usr/src/linux
see what happens when you
$ modprobe nvidia
Check dmesg once you've done this
and do make sure you're using the correct nvidia binary drivers for your
particular card. If it's an older card just double check you don't need
the so called "legacy" nvidia drivers rather than the more recent ones.
$ nvidia-xconfig
should give you enough of an xorg.conf to start X if the drivers are
functional.
$ nvidia-settings
gives you a gui that will do whatever to tweak things, save you a bunch
of time if you're using more than one monitor. Works good with 4. ;-)