[clug] eBook readers.

Robert Edwards bob at cs.anu.edu.au
Tue May 12 23:55:37 GMT 2009

Paul Warren wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> I'm looking at getting an e-ink device.  A few of them use linux as an
> OS, and some even have open source system images (firmware)!
>
> Anyone had experience with using and hacking these sorts of thigns?
>
> Anyone have one I can take a look at?  In particular to see if the
> cheaper 15.24 cm (6") ones will be useful for my purpose.
>
> My favourite at the moment is the Irex Iliad, it's big (20.57cm, 8.1"),
> runs linux, Open Source, with some community activity, and most
> importantly, is actually sold in Australia by retailers, so warranty
> issues aren't such a pain. link: https://www.dadirect.com/books/iLiadBE.asp
>
> The big thing about E-ink that I like is that you can read it in the
> sun, and under any normal light source, just like a real book. Are there
> other display technologies that can do the same?
>
> Cheers
> Paul Warren

Tridge has a Sony e-book (also runs Linux) that he was hacking on at the
Melbourne 2008 LCA. Uses the same sort of display technology.

There was also a talk at LCA 2009 in Hobart about some of the challenges
in writing a useable display driver for an e-ink display (eg. how do you
have a pointer/cursor?). Can't find the link to it at the moment - sorry.

Cheers,

Bob Edwards.