[clug] OSX + wireless security...

Robert Edwards bob at cs.anu.edu.au
Tue May 12 00:51:10 GMT 2009

Andrew Janke wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Just a quick question:
>
> Does anyone have any links to articles or the likes showing that OSX
> wireless is less secure than its equivalent Microsoft counterpart?
> I know (very) old incarnations of OSX don't do WPA2? or one of them,
> my ageing 12" G4 Powerbook on Tiger doesn't for example.
>
> Someone presented this to me as an argument as to why a local school
> (That my kids go to) should stop using macs and switch to microsoft as
> per departmental "policy".
>
> ?
>
> ta
>
> --
> Andrew Janke
> (a.janke at gmail.com || http://a.janke.googlepages.com/)
> Canberra->Australia    +61 (402) 700 883

Is this the ACT Dept. of Education? If so, the policy has a lot less
to do with security, or technology, or available applications, or
freedom, or best educational outcomes for the children and a lot more
to do with the size of the respective (proprietry) vendors schmoozing,
sorry, "marketing" budget. He who provides the biggest kick-backs wins!
It's all, apparently, about "risk-management" (or, more likely, "risk
aversion").

At least that is my take on this situation. ACT Dept. of Education also
has to toe the IntACT line (see above).

Cheers,

Bob Edwards.