[clug] Xine/totem/me-tv and L_Alt keypress events..

Kevin Pulo kev at pulo.com.au
Mon Mar 30 00:18:20 GMT 2009

Hi Andrew,

The offender seems to be in xine-ui, not xine-lib, in
src/xitk/videowin.c (video_window_reset_ssaver()).  It's insane that
they are using XTest to generate display-wide fake keystrokes.

The correct way to do this, at least for xscreensaver and similar, is
to send a DEACTIVATE ClientMessage event to the xscreensaver window.
Mplayer has good code in libvo/x11_common.c, you need the
-stop-xscreensaver option to enable it.  The lazy alternative is to
periodically run "xscreensaver-command -deactivate", which will do the
same thing.  ( http://www.jwz.org/xscreensaver/faq.html#dvd )

Given that xine-ui has code right under the XTest stuff for calling
"gnome-screensaver-command --poke", I would be modifying that to also
run the xscreensaver-command command, and then recompiling without
XTest.  There doesn't seem to be an easy --without-xtest configure
option, so I'd be hand-editing config.h after running configure.

Or maybe try getting me-tv to use mplayer instead of xine.

Kev

On Sat, Mar 28, 2009 at 02:51:39AM +1100, Andrew Janke wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> There are a few messages about this out there:
>
>    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/totem/+bug/216939
>
> This will really only affect dual or enormous screen users like myself
> who tend to have a movie/DVD/DVB-T thing going in one window and
> attempt to do work in the other.  Apparently xine/totem does this
> (generates a L_Alt keypress event) in order to stop the screensaver
> initiating. This seems like a bit of a hack to me as it causes all
> sorts of pain when the alt key gets pressed every 30 seconds or so in
> whatever else you are trying to work in.
>
> In my case it happens with me-tv.  So either I stub out the offending
> bit in libxine(?) and re-compile or does anyone know of a better way
> to approach this?
>
> (SITREP: 32bit Ubuntu intrepid, me-tv 0.7.14, xine v0.99.6cvs, T42
> thinkpad, external 27" monitor on DVI, USB keyboard + mouse)
>
> ta

Kev.

| Kevin Pulo                Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur. |
| kev at pulo.com.au               _ll l_ng__g_e_ _r_ hi__ly p__d_ct__le. |
| http://www.kev.pulo.com.au/         God casts the die, not the dice. |
`--------------- Linux: The choice of a GNU generation. ---------------'