[clug] Kernel without initramfs

David Cottrill cottrill.david at gmail.com
Wed Mar 25 07:23:10 GMT 2009

Thanks all, the big delay was coming from the debian-live initramfs
bootscripts (I'm using Debian as host too).
I believe scsi was the right place to look but it is still failing at the
same point. Have tried all variations of root=/dev/hda1, /dev/sda1 LABEL=...

Inserting a generic kernel into the same image is a serious performance hit
- these SoC motherboards are not like a standard computer, so P2 200MHz
/128MB ram is actually more like 486dx 200MHz / 100MB ram. I've built PII
400 desktops (Gentoo and Debian) and they are vastly different beast.

Even so, the boot time has been cut down enough using debootstrap instead of
cdebootstrap that I can deal with the idea of having a generic kernel (but I
will change modules=most to modules=dep). debootstrap more
accurately assesses my idea of a 'minimal' system.

When I say generic kernel - I mean Debian, not vanilla.

The setting for CONFIG_RAMFS I believe is 'y' (but support for
initrd/initramfs is 'n') so I'll give that one last crack

Now that I'm settled on not using debian-live, I have to figure out a way to
reduce the number of writes to disk. CF cards don't react well to that over
the short term and it's positively destructive medium to long term.

Interestingly I've noticed that many flash disk drive manufacturers are
pitching at the server market. Flash drives can take maybe a million hits
(cheap ones 100,000) per bit before they hit MTBF. Even with load levelling,
I'm betting most people out there could rack that up on a serious server in
a day or so.

Thanks again,
David