[clug] Kernel without initramfs

Robert Edwards bob at cs.anu.edu.au
Wed Mar 25 00:52:18 GMT 2009

David Cottrill wrote:
> I'm working at getting a P2 300MHz to boot in a reasonable time - the
> initramfs runtime on a generic kernel is about 2 minutes.To fix this I've
> built and will be rebuilding a custom kernel with all the required modules
> built in.
>
> What I've done - lsmod from the generic kernel, made sure all modules listed
> got included in the kernel in my custom version.
>
> The remaining problem: After finding all my devices (including my hard disk)
> the boot sequence fails to mount the root partition (local).
>
> The first and last error message is:
> VFS: can't mount (insert disk label or /dev/hda1 or /dev/sda1 or anything
> else here) or block (0,0)
> Please append a correct root=... Choose from the following partitions:
>
> There isn't a list of partitions to choose from so I guess it is the problem
> is in the part of the kernel that recognises partitions but my most recent
> build included almost all of the partition options so I'm a little bit
> mystified.
>
> Any suggestions?
>

> Thanks,
> David

Are you compiling a kernel.org kernel or one from the Ubuntu kernel
source packages? The Ubuntu kernel sources include patches to find
the root file system by disk label. You probably should identify your
root fs by block device instead (eg. root=/dev/sda1 etc.) (and in
fstab as well...).

Cheers,

Bob Edwards.