[clug] Kernel without initramfs

Martijn van Oosterhout kleptog at svana.org
Tue Mar 24 21:51:22 GMT 2009

On Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 07:42:23AM +1100, David Cottrill wrote:
> I'm working at getting a P2 300MHz to boot in a reasonable time - the
> initramfs runtime on a generic kernel is about 2 minutes.To fix this I've
> built and will be rebuilding a custom kernel with all the required modules
> built in.

That's somewhat long. Did you work out why it took so long?

> The first and last error message is:
> VFS: can't mount (insert disk label or /dev/hda1 or /dev/sda1 or anything
> else here) or block (0,0)
> Please append a correct root=... Choose from the following partitions:
>
> There isn't a list of partitions to choose from so I guess it is the problem
> is in the part of the kernel that recognises partitions but my most recent
> build included almost all of the partition options so I'm a little bit
> mystified.

Step one: did it see your disks. If so you should have seen messages
about the model and size of the disks. Only after that do you worry
about partitions.

Have a nice day,
--
Martijn van Oosterhout   <kleptog at svana.org>   http://svana.org/kleptog/