[clug] Kernel without initramfs

David Cottrill cottrill.david at gmail.com
Tue Mar 24 20:42:23 GMT 2009

I'm working at getting a P2 300MHz to boot in a reasonable time - the
initramfs runtime on a generic kernel is about 2 minutes.To fix this I've
built and will be rebuilding a custom kernel with all the required modules
built in.

What I've done - lsmod from the generic kernel, made sure all modules listed
got included in the kernel in my custom version.

The remaining problem: After finding all my devices (including my hard disk)
the boot sequence fails to mount the root partition (local).

The first and last error message is:
VFS: can't mount (insert disk label or /dev/hda1 or /dev/sda1 or anything
else here) or block (0,0)
Please append a correct root=... Choose from the following partitions:

There isn't a list of partitions to choose from so I guess it is the problem
is in the part of the kernel that recognises partitions but my most recent
build included almost all of the partition options so I'm a little bit
mystified.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
David