[clug] Report from the rally

Alex Satrapa grail at goldweb.com.au
Sun Mar 22 22:18:00 GMT 2009

On 22/03/2009, at 12:55 , Ben wrote:

> Also the last set of protests was hijacked by every left leaning
> and/or anarchist group under the sun (at least in Sydney), which may
> have turned a few people off.

Every scheduled protest gets hijacked by some radical group(s). It's
just the way things go. Man up, grow a spine, stiffen that upper lip,
whatever, and turn up to support the cause you care for - otherwise
the only people that will be there are the "left leaning and/or
anarchist group" folks.

Using the possible presence of people you don't like as a reason to
not go to a protest means that only people you don't like will get
perceived as supporting your cause. Since noone cares if people you
don't like get censored, locked up, or sent to concentration camp,
noone will speak up.

At which point I feel I have successfully segued into legitimate use
of this prose:

Martin Niemoeller:
> When they came for the communists, I said nothing; I was, of course,
> no communist.
> When they locked up the Social Democrats, I said nothing; I was, of
> course, no Social Democrat.
> When they came for the trade unionists, I said nothing; I was, of
> course, no trade unionist.
> When they came for me, there was no one left who could protest.

Just remember, when all the people who make you uncomfortable have
been shut up and locked away, there's only you left.

Alex