[clug] OT: naughty hyperlinks to cost $11,000/day

David Tulloh david at tulloh.id.au
Thu Mar 19 00:12:39 GMT 2009

Alex Satrapa wrote:

> Whether deliberate or not, the fact that a foreign country's blacklist
> is blacklisted in Australia should be some indication as to how much
> more than "kiddie porn" is on Steven Conroy's agenda.
>
> An anti-abortion site is on the blacklist because of the pictures of
> things that are claimed to be aborted foetuses. That's not kiddie porn
> by any stretch of the imagination.
It must be mentioned that the three feti in question aren't clothed and
one of them has it's genitalia clearly exposed.  With the new modern
definition of pornography maybe that's enough, or maybe the ACMA
reviewer found it personally arousing.

More disturbing to me was the censoring of the wikileaks page because it
linked to other sites which contained prohibited content.  It's the
start of a stupid game of wack-a-mole where the moles multiply
exponentially, they can cause damage but never win.

Wikileaks also has a list that claims to be the ACMA blacklist from
August 2008.  As far as I am aware we are allowed to link to it and I
initially included the link in this post.  I have removed it though
because I don't want to cause extra hassle for the people running this
server.  This decision made me quite uncomfortable and it's this kind of
self-censorship that I think is the real problem with this system and
also their actual goal.

David