[clug] OT: naughty hyperlinks to cost $11,000/day

Ben shadroth at gmail.com
Wed Mar 18 11:55:01 GMT 2009

yeah, and right now the link to the site is on Wikipedia... on the
article about the ACMA.

there is a bit of an edit war going on, but the discussion comments
indicate the link will stay - albeit not spelled out inline, but as a
reference as links are supposed to be on Wikipedia.

ACMA can't send a letter to Wikipedia because it's not in Australia.
So all they can do is put the wikipedia page (or possibly the whole
domain) on their blacklist and then when/if the filter comes to pass
their own article will be censored.

My opinion is ACMA are doing this deliberately now, to make the filter
look even stupider, in an effort to provoke more public outrage, as
they themselves are opposed to it. I can't really think of any
alternative believable option, although one wonders how they put the
site in question on the list to start with...