[clug] dovecot and multiple auth methods

jm jeffm at ghostgun.com
Tue Mar 17 04:20:29 GMT 2009

How do you control which socket or authentication process dovecot's pop3
daemon chooses to use? I've got a user database with two flags one to
allow pop3 access and the other to allow the use of auth smtp. There are
two authentication instances configed, thus,

auth default {
   passdb sql {
     args = /etc/dovecot-sql-postfix.conf
   }
    socket listen {
    master {
      path = /var/run/dovecot/auth-master
      mode = 0660
      user =
      group =
    }
}

auth postfix {
  passdb sql {
    args = /etc/dovecot-sql-postfix.conf
  }

 socket listen {
    client {
      path = /var/spool/postfix/private/auth
      mode = 0660
      user = postfix
      group = postfix
    }
  }
}

 From the logs and testing pop3 is using the postfix authentication
instance and not the default as expected. Does anyone out there know how
control dovecot's pops daemon authentication choice? This infomation
seems to be lacking in the documentation I can find.

Jeff.