[clug] Ubuntu fstab problem

Ian Bardsley ifb777 at tpg.com.au
Wed Mar 11 04:26:23 GMT 2009

Ian Bardsley wrote:
> G'day list members
>
> I have been searching around for a plausible answer to this for a few
> days to no avail.  The time has now come to consult the collective
> wisdom of this auspicious list
>
> I have recently expanded my Mythtv setup to include a couple of remote
> frontends.  Everything that should work is working with the exception
> of the mounting of NFS shares on the remote FEs at boot time.  The
> entries in FSTAB have been proven correct as issuing the command "sudo
> mount -a" in the teminal mounts the shares with no problem.  However,
> the shares do not mount at boot time.  I am of the opinion now that
> this is caused by a boot sequencing problem but have not been able to
> find any explanation of how this can be checked or how the sequencing
> can be changed.
>
> Have any of you kind people out there in Linux land encountered a
> similar problem and can you offer some guidance to a solution.
>
> My thanks in advance
>
> Regards
>
> Ian Bardsley
G'Day again List

My thanks to all who chipped in with suggestions on this.

I found a solution buried in something that I read but didn't at first
understand.

As mentioned among your responses, ubuntu seems to start things a little
randomly at boot time and my problem was almost certainly caused by
fstab executing before a network connection had been made.  The
solution, use rc.local instead as this executes after everything else is
done.  So entering "mount -t nfs [serverip]:/[path to server file name]
/[mountpoint] launched my shares at the end of the boot process.

I learn more and more each day

Thanks again folks

Have fun

Ian Bardsley