[clug] An old debate: Forensics study of cleaning old diskdrives sold on e-bay [SEC=PERSONAL]

Michael Carden crash at michaelcarden.net
Thu Mar 5 10:39:50 GMT 2009

> Just drill right through the drive, platters and all. Recovery costs
> are then at least 6 figures, more if the platters were glass instead of
> aluminium.

The tricky part is when drives fail under warranty. Most suppliers
baulk at "No, you can't have my drive" when you ask for a replacement.

But seriously, don't just pop a drill or a drop saw through a drive.
There are far too many fun bits inside for that. Take it apart and
play with what's inside.

--
MC