[clug] geany

Andrew Janke a.janke at gmail.com
Wed Mar 4 10:41:53 GMT 2009

Hi David,

Thanks for the reply,

>> PS: <Ctrl>0 with a vertical select in nedit will shift the entire
>> block one character right.  Sort of like an indent command but a whole
>> lot more fun.
>
> In vim you can move things by a 'shiftwidth' using the > command.
> I typically have my shiftwidth set to be 4, to match my tabs, but you
> could define it to be 1 and use it as you describe.

Aye, I am somewhat aware of the shift stuff in vi, but what I am after
is sort of the same but different... If you for example rectangular
select the middle 'column' in the following in Nedit:  (eg: in the
first line it would be 'blah.')

   fred.blah.pl
   mary.john.pl
   fred.blah.pl
   mary.john.pl
   fred.blah.pl
   mary.john.pl
   fred.blah.pl

You can then press <Ctrl>9 a few times and quickly get this:

   blah.fred.pl
   john.mary.pl
   blah.fred.pl
   john.mary.pl
   blah.fred.pl
   john.mary.pl
   blah.fred.pl

In what I do I am often fiddling about with such blocks of filenames
(1000's of medical imaging files that need filename "homogenising").

Note that geany has a funky "comumn mode editing" thing that Nedit
doesn't, so it too I have learnt to like:

   http://www.mail-archive.com/geany@uvena.de/msg00022.html

Most handy!