[clug] Re: Slackware session: was Debian session for any Choobs?

Denise Bates dbates at fwi.net.au
Tue Jun 30 13:21:56 GMT 2009

Mike Carden wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 8:57 PM, Denise Bates<dbates at fwi.net.au> wrote:
>
>> I found an interesting article on Distrowatch on the topic...
>> http://fullmetalgerbil.com/2009/06/26/five-reasons-i-prefer-slackware-over-ubuntu/
>>

> Where 'interesting' equals a poorly written and shallow critique of
> Ubuntu with a tangential promotion of slackware.

Oh, dear! Are you suggesting that the author (and myself) are "Ubuntu
deniers? I don't want to get involved in a distro-war: If a Ubuntu user
offered up equivalent set of reasons for their choice of distro, would
you consider that shallow?

> Source versus binary eh? Fair enough.

What has source got to do with it? Slackware is a binary-based distro.
The packaging system is quite primitive, but it works surprisingly well.
> What is your computing issue that benefits from Slackware? Please
> don't think that I am criticising you or Slackware, I just want to
> properly understand the issues.

It works for me. The article summed up most of my reasons for using
Slackware, so I thought that it would save repetition.
> More importantly, we can all contribute to making free software better,
>
> I'm keen to attend a CLUG meeting where I'm shown the awesomeness of
> Slackware, but I hope it's not presented as being inherently superior
> to Ubuntu or Fedora or Suse or...

Apart from briefly mentioning that unlike many other purportedly "easy"
distros, Slackware doesn't use GUI for installation or configuration, I
wouldn't waste my time discussing any of the above distros. A
demonstration  of Slackware should allow the audience to make up their
minds.

I would be happy to do an installation in the background on a
"difficult" computer, if anyone would care to bring one (difficult to
configure, but not broken or definitely unsupported).  With any luck,
the installation should be quicker and smoother than many other distros
could manage......

--
Dr Denise J. Bates
PO Box 516