[clug] Switching to broadband - more help needed.

Felix Karpfen felixk at webone.com.au
Fri Jun 26 22:23:50 GMT 2009

On Fri, 26 Jun 2009 09:08:04 +1000, Paul Wayper wrote:

> On 26/06/09 08:42, Felix Karpfen wrote:
>>  The router is configured correctly and has no problems
>> in connecting to the Internet.

SNIP

> try doing 'dhclient eth0' on your Linux machine.

This is about the *only* thing that I had not tried.

However, the real problem is elsewhere.

In gratitude for the time taken by you, Jeremy Kerr and Hal Ashburner
and for the entertainment and edification of other CLUG subscribers, I
submit the following additional information:

After my initial inquiry, I decided that I lacked the know-how to
configure an Asus modem/router.  "Netgear routers" were reported to be easy
to configure and I selected one that scored highly on the Whirlpool list
(Netgear DG834G).

I was not entirely wrong.  Configuring the router was easy and well
documented.

But I found that the configured router failed to pass on *any* received
packages to the computer.

It now appears that this is exactly what is supposed to happen as long as
the firewall settings remain at their factory-set defaults.  Here is the
relevant (online only) information - when I finally got there:

| You can use this screen to create Firewall rules to block or allow
| specific traffic. This feature is for Advanced Administrators only!
| Incorrect configuration will cause serious problems.
|
| Outbound Services
|
| This lists all existing rules for outbound traffic. If you have not
| defined any rules, only the default rule will be listed. The default
| rule allows all outgoing traffic
|

| Inbound Services
|
| This lists all existing rules for inbound traffic. If you have not
| defined any rules, only the default rule will be listed. The default
| rule *blocks all inbound traffic*.

Felix

--
Felix Karpfen