[clug] Switching to broadband - more help needed.

Paul Wayper paulway at mabula.net
Thu Jun 25 23:08:04 GMT 2009

On 26/06/09 08:42, Felix Karpfen wrote:
> The responses to my initial queries (posted on 3 June) were sufficiently
> encouraging to induce me to go ahead, purchase (and configure) a router
> and sign up for broadband access.
>
> So far, so good.  The router is configured correctly and has no problems
> in connecting to the Internet.
>
> But I put the cart before the horse!  I should have insured that my
> (hitherto-dummy) eth0 configuration was still needed!  Now I have a mess
> on my hands :(.
>
> Kernel IP routing table
> Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref Use Iface
>
> 192.168.0.0     0.0.0.0         255.255.255.0   U     0      0    0  eth0
> 0.0.0.0         192.168.0.1     0.0.0.0         UG    0      0    0  eth0
>
> After consulting "man route", it appears that I have 2 versions of "eth0"
> up and running and no trace of "lo" (although - according to "ifconfig" -
> "lo" is alive and well).

The first entry is your local network, and says 'anything for 192.168.0.1
through 192.168.0.255 send locally'.  The second entry says 'anything else,
send to 192.168.0.1 and it'll handle it'.  So the question is: is 192.168.0.1
your router or your own machine?

Then there's the question of how your name resolution is set up.  What's in
/etc/resolv.conf?

To take a step back here, does the router support DHCP?  If so, try doing
'dhclient eth0' on your Linux machine.  That will not only set your routing
correctly, but will also set up /etc/resolv.conf correctly and do bits of
other plumbing to make your Linux machine talk correctly to the internet.
It's much easier doing that if you're learning your way around than to try to
do all of what dhclient does manually.

Hope this helps,

Paul