[clug] Has Ubuntu resulted in a decline of Linux distribution innovation

Jason Stokes glasper9 at yahoo.com.au
Fri Jun 19 08:47:07 GMT 2009

Perhaps this is flamebait, but I see very little need for the proliferation
of distributions anyway and would be extremely happy if there were just
one, or perhaps two, "big distributions" that everyone uses for most purposes.
Of course there will always be a niche for minimalist distros for old machines,
embedded purposes, obscure architectures etc.

Also, one single desktop environment that everyone uses (KDE or Gnome,
I don't care which).

If Ubuntu becomes a de facto standard I see this as a good thing, not a bad thing.
Alternately, Fedora.  I really don't care which, as far as I'm concerned the
alternate distributions simply splinter the very small Linux pie into even
smaller markets, making things even harder for newcomers.

Hell, I would even pay a modest fee for an "enhanced" Ubuntu with legal mp3
codecs etc, if that would lead to Ubuntu having more funds to improve its
distribution.  (Yes, I am sending them a donation.)