[clug] Has Ubuntu resulted in a decline of Linux distribution innovation

Robert Edwards bob at cs.anu.edu.au
Thu Jun 18 23:44:08 GMT 2009

Chris Smart wrote:
> 2009/6/18 Karun Dambiec <karun at linux.com>:
>> Given that Ubuntu has become one of the most popular distributions, do
>> you think it has resulted in a decline of innovation between
>> distributions?
>>
>> Alternatives like Gentoo, etc appear to be gradually disappearing.
>
> I wouldn't say that Gentoo is dying at all. See http://cia.vc/
>
> But Ubuntu has certainly filled a void in the Linux space and has
> attracted a certain type of users. Gentoo fills another gap too, and
> I'd say it's unlikely to disappear any time soon. Don't forget there's
> also http://funtoo.org
>
> Has it resulted in less innovation among distros? I don't think so
> either. But I have felt lately that there isn't much difference
> between releases as there used to be. In fact I'd say that Fedora 11
> is far more innovative than Jaunty.
>
> -c

I agree. I would say that there are approx. as many or same proportion
of people using DIY distros like linux from scratch, slackware and
gentoo now as in the early days of Linux. What Ubuntu and Fedora have
done is made Linux more accessible to all those who would love a good
alternative to the Windows/MacOS monopolies but don't want to DIY.

So Ubuntu and the other slick distros have filled a niche and certainly
taken up a lot of the PR space, but the home-brew DIYers are still out
there as before with their own favourite distros, just not getting as
much attention by comparison.

My thoughts.

Bob Edwards.