[clug] Has Ubuntu resulted in a decline of Linux distribution innovation

Chris Smart mail at christophersmart.com
Thu Jun 18 12:41:27 GMT 2009

2009/6/18 Karun Dambiec <karun at linux.com>:
> Given that Ubuntu has become one of the most popular distributions, do
> you think it has resulted in a decline of innovation between
> distributions?
>
> Alternatives like Gentoo, etc appear to be gradually disappearing.

I wouldn't say that Gentoo is dying at all. See http://cia.vc/

But Ubuntu has certainly filled a void in the Linux space and has
attracted a certain type of users. Gentoo fills another gap too, and
I'd say it's unlikely to disappear any time soon. Don't forget there's
also http://funtoo.org

Has it resulted in less innovation among distros? I don't think so
either. But I have felt lately that there isn't much difference
between releases as there used to be. In fact I'd say that Fedora 11
is far more innovative than Jaunty.

-c