[clug] Fedora 11 problem: mysql

Daniel Pittman daniel at rimspace.net
Sat Jun 13 10:21:02 GMT 2009

Eyal Lebedinsky <eyal at eyal.emu.id.au> writes:

> It is not a logical suggestion - the upgrade utility needs a running server
> (which there isn't).  That's why I wrote 'or any other utility'.

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/upgrading-from-previous-series.html

    Incompatible change: MySQL 5.1 implements support for a plugin API that
    allows the loading and unloading of components at runtime, without
    restarting the server. Section 22.2, “The MySQL Plugin Interface”. The
    plugin API requires the mysql.plugin table. After upgrading from an older
    version of MySQL, you should run the mysql_upgrade command to create this
    table. See Section 4.4.8, “mysql_upgrade — Check Tables for MySQL
    Upgrade”.

So, mysql_upgrade does fix that, but the other problem, a damaged table, seems
to be more persistent.

myisamchk should be able to run without the server running and repair the host
table, which should get you moving forward.  Which, you are right, I should
have identified as the first bit of problem needing to be resolved.

Regards,
        Daniel

Why mysql dumps the faults in that order, I don't know, but it sure isn't
helpful. :)

Regards,
        Daniel