[clug] Windows Tax refund and ASUS

Ian Bardsley ifb777 at tpg.com.au
Fri Jun 12 05:27:24 GMT 2009

Oops sorry...forgot to copy the list

Andrew Janke wrote:
> Anyone been successful at getting anything back from ASUS?  A search
> or two would say no and an initial phone call I made to them would
> insinuate no.  "if it is not fit for purpose, return whole machine to
> where you bought it, ASUS do not do whitebox sales".............
>

> --
> Andrew Janke
> (a.janke at gmail.com || http://a.janke.googlepages.com/)
> Canberra->Australia    +61 (402) 700 883

I reckon that anyone expecting to get a refund on unwanted M$ product
supplied with new hardware from any manufacturer is dreaming.  I don't
really understand how M$ manage to intimidate manufacturers into
adopting the attitude that you can have anything that you like as long
as it comes from M$ but I suspect that it is strongly associated with
volume rebates on licence fees.

However, all is not lost.  If you plan to buy a new computer it is not
too difficult to transfer a part or all of the value of an unwanted,
pre-installed operating system onto the seller by  following these
simple rules.

1...Buy only from a supplier who is prepared to negotiate on price.
2...Be prepared to walk away from any purchase where price is not
negotiable by at least -15%
3...Be disciplined with regard to your buying policy and never compromise
4...Be prepared to spend as much time securing the best possible price
as you would researching the best product to buy.

A recent purchase of a 17" notebook for my daughter showed that if you
stick to this policy you can save the retail cost of windoze and more.
When shopping carefully selected product specs around all of the normal
retails sources in Canberra and Melbourne plus Dell and E-bay, she
managed to get the unit that she wanted marked down from a ticketed
price of $2195 to $1830 a saving of $360 which more than covered the
cost of the unwanted preinstalled edition of Vista.

In 30 years of involvement in Sales and Marketing I know that the vast
majority of buyers do not attempt to negotiate on price.  Of those
buyers that do, 80% accept the first offer.  Be neither of these and you
will win.

Some retail outlets for all forms of domestic goods do not empower their
staff to make price variation decisions.  Don't buy from them.  Dont
even waste your time considering them.  They never have anything unique
anyway and you will find out who they are the first time you ask, "Would
you accept $X for that?"

Have a great weekend all

Regards

Ian Bardsley