[clug] VM preferences

David Tulloh david at tulloh.id.au
Sat Jun 6 15:13:42 GMT 2009

Geoff Swan wrote:
> I am interested to know what sort of virtualisation people use and/or
> prefer?? ...

>  So, I
> started to install KVM. No good though because my server is a little
> mini ITX VIA board (no HW virtualisation support)...

I use KVM a little bit these days, I find it works out of the box for me
and runs great, no demanding setup.  My use cases don't require
particularly high performance or odd configurations though.

 From what I understand KVM uses QEMU's frontend, in which case I
recommend it.  You also have a nice transition into KVM once you have
hardware that supports it.

When I bought my last few systems I went out of my way to get hardware
VM support in anticipation of starting using it.  I'm very glad I did.

David