[clug] Monitors that swivel

David Tulloh david at tulloh.id.au
Fri Jun 5 02:04:22 GMT 2009

Alex Satrapa wrote:

> Portrait orientation can still be useful if you're editing documents
> that consist largely of black text on a white background - the
> differences between "navy blue" representing black at one side of the
> monitor and "Cayenne" representing black at the other side of the
> monitor won't cause too many problems. White is pretty uniform, since
> white is achieved by having all the shutters open. You'll get some
> grey at the extremes, which looks like vignetting.

I've found that for normal use I don't have an issue and would still
recommend doing it.  I will second Alex's comment on the colours
though.  It's minor enough that I don't worry about it or care but it
would drive a graphics designer around the bend.

I use two screens and have rotated them both so that the tops join in
the middle.  This reduces the issue and means that I'm actually at a
slight angle, top down, to both screens.  It limits me to having to sit
in my chair properly to use the screens and other people looking over
your shoulder have to be fairly central as well.  I don't mind either of
these.

When I mentioned the issue it was as something to be aware of so that
you weren't surprised.  I use a portrait orientation and highly
recommend it to anyone dealing mainly in text.

The best way to understand what happens would be to take a laptop or
screen and just rotate it 90 degrees.  Then move around a little bit and
see for yourself.

David