[clug] Re: Monitors that swivel

Rod Peters rpeters at pcug.org.au
Thu Jun 4 23:58:25 GMT 2009

On Thursday 04 June 2009 20:07:36 linux-request at lists.samba.org wrote:
> [clug] Monitors that swivel
>  From: Lana Brindley <lanabrindley at gmail.com>
>  To: CLUG List <linux at lists.samba.org>
>
> This is a real long shot, but is there anyone on-list who uses a monitor in
> portrait-orientation (so it's taller than it is wide)?
>
> I'd really love to have one (I've been looking at the Samsungs, but Dell
> has a small offering too), but I'm concerned about them working with Linux.
> I'm running RHEL5 and am pretty much guaranteed that the version of X that
> is shipped with it won't run a swivelled monitor. Apparently it will be
> supported in RHEL6, but I'm not sure I can wait that long! I have some
> anecdotal evidence that it works under F10, so I'm considering F11 as soon
> as it ships (should be in a week or so, according to word on the street),
> but would be really interested to hear from anyone else who's tried it.
>
> Thanks,
> Lana
>
> --
> Cheers! Lana

I have a Samsung 21" 4:3 ratio that swivels, but have never used it in
portrait mode.  Reason is fairly simple.  In landscape mode it's vertical
dimension is at about the limit of what my eyes can scan.  I'd say the same
applys to a widescreen of 24" or more.  Indeed, a 19" widescreen in portrait
mode might be challenging.

So, before parting with too much hard-earned cash for this feature it's worth
getting the shop to demo it and make your own assessment of the usefulness.
A wheelie mouse is a lot less expensive.

Rod