[clug] Re: Monitors that swivel

Lana Brindley lanabrindley at gmail.com
Fri Jun 5 00:05:00 GMT 2009

2009/6/5 Rod Peters <rpeters at pcug.org.au>

> On Thursday 04 June 2009 20:07:36 linux-request at lists.samba.org wrote:
> > [clug] Monitors that swivel
> >  From: Lana Brindley <lanabrindley at gmail.com>
> >  To: CLUG List <linux at lists.samba.org>
> >
> > This is a real long shot, but is there anyone on-list who uses a monitor
> in
> > portrait-orientation (so it's taller than it is wide)?
> >
> > I'd really love to have one (I've been looking at the Samsungs, but Dell
> > has a small offering too), but I'm concerned about them working with
> Linux.
> > I'm running RHEL5 and am pretty much guaranteed that the version of X
> that
> > is shipped with it won't run a swivelled monitor. Apparently it will be
> > supported in RHEL6, but I'm not sure I can wait that long! I have some
> > anecdotal evidence that it works under F10, so I'm considering F11 as
> soon
> > as it ships (should be in a week or so, according to word on the street),
> > but would be really interested to hear from anyone else who's tried it.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Lana
> >
> > --
> > Cheers! Lana
>
> I have a Samsung 21" 4:3 ratio that swivels, but have never used it in
> portrait mode.  Reason is fairly simple.  In landscape mode it's vertical
> dimension is at about the limit of what my eyes can scan.  I'd say the same
> applys to a widescreen of 24" or more.  Indeed, a 19" widescreen in
> portrait
> mode might be challenging.
>
> So, before parting with too much hard-earned cash for this feature it's
> worth
> getting the shop to demo it and make your own assessment of the usefulness.
> A wheelie mouse is a lot less expensive.

I understand the point. I actually want it for my work machine. I'm a
writer, and it really helps with layout and organising information to be
able to see it all in one eyeful like that. I know a lot of other writers
who use it with great success. The fact is, what I work on doesn't need to
be wide so much as tall. I'm not playing games on it, or requiring
super-extra-shiny graphics. I just need a half-decent monitor that I can
swivel.

For those who pointed out the scrolling issues, thanks for that, it's
something I hadn't thought of. I don't think it's a deal-breaker, though.

Cheers,
Lana

--
Cheers! Lana

Eccentricity is not, as dull people would have us believe, a form of
madness. It is often a kind of innocent pride, and the man of genius and the
aristocrat are frequently regarded as eccentrics because genius and
aristocrat are entirely unafraid of and uninfluenced by the opinions and
vagaries of the crowd.
 -- Edith Sitwell

http://lanabrindley.blogspot.com

See http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html for more