[clug] Monitors that swivel

David Tulloh david at tulloh.id.au
Thu Jun 4 12:22:19 GMT 2009

Lana Brindley wrote:
> This is a real long shot, but is there anyone on-list who uses a monitor in
> portrait-orientation (so it's taller than it is wide)?

I use two 19" monitors on a fancy floating arm thingys.  The main one is
permanently in portrait mode and the other I change depending on if I am
watching a movie or coding.

The command line fu is: xrandr -o left|right|normal
Then I have to restart my window manager (applications remain).

Two issues to be aware of before you splash out lots of cash.

LCD monitors (mine at least) have different viewing angles in different
directions.  One of the compromises they make is the bottom viewing
angle is fairly bad.  This only really becomes an issue if you rotate it
so it's now your side viewing angle.

You get a tearing effect when you scroll.  My understanding is that the
monitor refreshes each line of the screen left to right, top to bottom.
When you rotate it clockwise it's now refreshing top to bottom, left to
right.  This means when you scroll the left side of the screen moves
before the right side and you get this odd effect of diagonal waves
traveling from the top left corner to the bottom right.  You get a small
amount of it on a normal orientation but I found it far more pronounced
when I rotated the screen.  It's fairly minor and I don't really notice
it now but it bothered me for some time.

David