[clug] Calling all Linux n00bs

Jim Croft jim.croft at gmail.com
Thu Jun 4 04:09:44 GMT 2009

> However, as others point out, these days an Ethernet-connected ADSL
> firewall/router appliance takes care of all the interaction with the ISP.

Yes, with Ubuntu (several versions) connecting through
Netspeed/Transact (perhaps not an ideal choice) through a router
(couple of different brands) it just worked as though Linux was
completely irrelevant.  Which I suppose it was...

As a complete aside, I was scared witless that my trusty Telstra
orange USB wireless 3G modem that was so flaky to start with under
'doze XP and Vista until new drivers were downloaded, would not work
at all under totally undocumented Linux and I would not be able to
brag to my kids and mum about doing the way cool "I've got Linux on my
laptop" thing.  To absolute surprise, Ubuntu 9.04 found it, did secret
configuration stuff and I was connected and working in less than a
minute.  Literally.  Lana - this yet another reason why no-one should
use Linux... ever...

(but I do have a cute little noname video cam that is proving to be
particularly stubborn if anyone is interested in a challenge...)

jim