[clug] Software Freedom Day 2009 plans

Paul Wayper paulway at mabula.net
Mon Jul 27 07:09:37 MDT 2009

Hi all!

Software Freedom Day is on Saturday September 19th this year, and planning has
started for our regular activities.  These are:

1) On the day, running a stall at the Computer Markets
(http://www.computermarkets.com/cm/) at the Old Bus Depot Markets
(http://www.computermarkets.com/cm/index.php?view=venueevents&id=7:Old%20Bus%20Depot%20Building).
  * Set up computers running Linux and a variety of Free Open Source Software
on whatever other operating systems people are prepared to bring.
  * Have videos running - e.g. Big Buck Bunny, Elephant's Dream, and others -
made with FOSS.
  * Have flyers and CDs to give away.
  * Get a large banner made up to give the booth an air of quality.

2) On the following weekend (26th September), run an Install Fest.  This gives
people who are interested in learning more a chance to bring their computers
along and have people help get started with FOSS.
  * Run an installing room with people helping install Linux and help people
with FOSS.
  * Have people giving talks on a variety of FOSS programs - e.g. Inkscape,
The Gimp, Firefox, OpenOffice, Wordpress, etc. - in a separate room.
  * Advertise this event at the SFD stall, and on radio, in newspapers, on
flyers, and wherever else we can.
  * Invite public speakers to talk about the importance of FOSS and possibly
get coverage of this in the media.

Pia Waugh and I are doing the main organising and we'd love people to
volunteer to do stuff, or at least delegate stuff to you.  Lana and Jeff, are
you interested in handling the PR side of things?  Preferably get back to us
before the 10th of August so we can work out where things are going from there.

Have fun,

Paul