[clug] Software Freedom Day 2009 plans

Lana Brindley lanabrindley at gmail.com
Mon Jul 27 16:22:22 MDT 2009

2009/7/27 Paul Wayper <paulway at mabula.net>

> Hi all!
>
> Software Freedom Day is on Saturday September 19th this year, and planning
> has started for our regular activities.  These are:
>
> 1) On the day, running a stall at the Computer Markets (
> http://www.computermarkets.com/cm/) at the Old Bus Depot Markets (
> http://www.computermarkets.com/cm/index.php?view=venueevents&id=7:Old%20Bus%20Depot%20Building
> ).
>  * Set up computers running Linux and a variety of Free Open Source
> Software on whatever other operating systems people are prepared to bring.
>  * Have videos running - e.g. Big Buck Bunny, Elephant's Dream, and others
> - made with FOSS.
>  * Have flyers and CDs to give away.
>  * Get a large banner made up to give the booth an air of quality.
>
> 2) On the following weekend (26th September), run an Install Fest.  This
> gives people who are interested in learning more a chance to bring their
> computers along and have people help get started with FOSS.
>  * Run an installing room with people helping install Linux and help people
> with FOSS.
>  * Have people giving talks on a variety of FOSS programs - e.g. Inkscape,
> The Gimp, Firefox, OpenOffice, Wordpress, etc. - in a separate room.
>  * Advertise this event at the SFD stall, and on radio, in newspapers, on
> flyers, and wherever else we can.
>  * Invite public speakers to talk about the importance of FOSS and possibly
> get coverage of this in the media.
>
> Pia Waugh and I are doing the main organising and we'd love people to
> volunteer to do stuff, or at least delegate stuff to you.  Lana and Jeff,
> are you interested in handling the PR side of things?  Preferably get back
> to us before the 10th of August so we can work out where things are going
> from there.

Count me in for PR, and for helping out on the 19th if you need warm bodies.
Can't make the install fest this time, though, unfortunately.

Thanks for organising this Paul and Pia.

Cheers! Lana

I'm living so far beyond my income that we may almost be said to be living
apart.
-- e.e. cummings

http://lanabrindley.blogspot.com

See http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html for more