[clug] Glue Language

Jason Stokes glasper9 at yahoo.com.au
Thu Jul 2 03:57:01 GMT 2009

Daniel Pittman <daniel at rimspace.net> wrote:

Jason Stokes <glasper9 at yahoo.com.au> writes:

>> What are you using this language for?  Is there a reason why you prefer
>> scheme with non-standard syntax to python or lua or another commonly
>> embedded language?

>Well, that amuses me.  You do know that the "non-standard syntax" you are
>referring to there is a Lisp dialect, the origin of which runs back to 1958.

Thanks Daniel.  Paul was proposing a Scheme variant with
curly braces as an option instead of the dreaded parentheses.
Hence "Scheme with non-standard syntax."   Paul was suggesting
that his potential users found Scheme syntax difficult.  I personally
don't think this is much of an issue, if you're prepared to go
with Scheme, why not just go with Scheme.

I would still use Python or Lua or a more mainstream language if
I possibly could.  This is not language trolling.  I personally would
love to implement a Smalltalk environment, but the sad reality is,
Smalltalk is simply too old-hat.  As far as size goes, Python has
been ported to a number of small devices, including
Symbian OS (Nokia's mobile phones) and Windows CE, so
Python may be an option.