[clug] Who's famous in the 80's and 2000's?

Brad Hards bradh at frogmouth.net
Mon Jan 12 10:40:50 GMT 2009

On Sunday 11 January 2009 04:28:46 pm steve jenkin wrote:
> Today I was trying to think of the 'leading lights' in computing for
> each of the decades its been around.
>
> I struck a blank for the 1980's and post 2000.
>
> Anyone got their favourites or suggestions?
For a guy I only just heard of (in the context of a Catmull-Rom spline), Edwin
Catmull has contributed a lot of stuff in the graphics area over a long time.

There aren't many computer scientists with 3 Academy Awards. From
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catmull :
"In 1993, the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences presented Catmull
with his first Academy Award "for the development of PhotoRealistic RenderMan
software which produces images used in motion pictures from 3D computer
descriptions of shape and appearance." In 1995 he was inducted as a Fellow of
the Association for Computing Machinery. Again in 1996, he received an
Academy Award "for pioneering inventions in Digital Image Compositing".
Finally, in 2001, he received an Oscar "for significant advancements to the
field of motion picture rendering as exemplified in Pixar's RenderMan."

Brad