[clug] Who's famous in the 80's and 2000's?

Chris Henman henman at pobox.com
Mon Jan 12 04:21:33 GMT 2009

Steve,

How about David Cutler, originally of DEC and VMS fame and later
Microsoft and Win NT, loosely based on VMS.

And Seymor Cray, desinger of the first "super computers" such as the
Control Data Corp. Cyber 76 (1972/3, 9 nanosecond cycle time, 64 bit
word length, freon cooled, ~US $7 million at the time)   and later,
machines built under his own name. Various Cray's; models of which I now
no longer remember.

There were also various Australians working for the now defunct CSIRO
Division of Computing Research (DCR).  For example Dr Mark Palandri,
designer of the original DCR networked system of the seventies
interconnecting various "nodes", mostly in capital cities, around the
country. Mark Palandri was also heavily involved in TeX and was lost by
CSIRO to Xerox.  There are others that Tridge would probably remember.

cheers,
csh

steve jenkin wrote:
> Today I was trying to think of the 'leading lights' in computing for
> each of the decades its been around.
>
> I struck a blank for the 1980's and post 2000.
>
> Anyone got their favourites or suggestions?
>
> This was my quick hack list :-)
> Any other suggestions happily accepted, but if you mention your criteria
> or the persons' field, that'd be nice.
>
> 1930 - 1950 Turing, von Neuman, ...
> 1950 - 1960 Bob Glass, Jerry Weinberg, ...
> 1960 - 1970 Ritchie & Thompson, Codd & Date
> 1970 - 1980 BSD guys, Bill Joy, Gates, Steve Jobs
> 1980 - 1990 ???
> 1990 - 2000 Linus & Tridge
> 2000 - 2010 ???
>
> cheers