[clug] Linux mobo - good and cheap

David Collett david.collett at gmail.com
Tue Jan 6 09:39:30 GMT 2009

I'm late to this party and it sounds like you're on the right track already.

Just wanted to give my support integrated intel video. I've been using
integrated intel video for years now (945G, G965 and G31 chipsets) and
reckon they are great. Specifically, I've been using cheap and
easy-to-find gigabyte boards from the Canberra computer fair.

They work 'out-of-the-box' and they do have 3D support which is plenty
good enough for desktop bling (e.g. compiz) and the like (perhaps not
good enough for games as noted).

It also has good 2D support including basic video acceleration (xv). I
use a 945G board in my mythtv box and it plays back HDTV just fine.

As noted, many boards don't have DVI out (certainly mine don't, but
perhaps newer ones do), however you *can* get DVI output by buying an
"ADD2" riser board. It is a PCIe x16 card that sits in your x16 slot
and adds a DVI output to the onboard video. Works with any intel mobos
and should be easy to find online for about $25. Intel also support
the new spec for dynamic monitor detection and reconfiguration
('xrandr' ?). I run a dual-monitor setup here with one monitor
connected to the onboard VGA plug and a second on the ADD2 card DVI
plug. It is trivial to configure dual-head with the latest distros
which contain a gui for xrandr compliant drivers (e.g. ubuntu 8.10).
The only bad thing I've encountered is that with my dual-head setup,
compiz is disabled because the frame buffer width exceeds the limits
of the DRI driver, see here for details:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/mesa/+bug/146859

Finally, my gigabyte mobos all support suspend (and resume!) out of
the box on recent distros (Ubuntu anyway).

Of course YMMV, good luck,

Dave