[clug] Interesting article

Sam Couter sam at couter.id.au
Mon Jan 5 12:05:40 GMT 2009

Michael James <michael at james.st> wrote:

> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/01/02/it_trends_2009_fforecast/

That article seems like a badly fragmented stream of conciousness rant.
Very poorly written. What little meaning I was able to get out of it was
crap from start to finish.

> IT becomes an increasingly throwaway business.

That depends on your business.

My Dad owns a civil contracting company of around 30 people. I asked him
once what he'd do if his computers all shat themselves. He said he'd just
need any customised applications. He already outsources his IT support,
network infrastructure, etc, so there's nothing changing in 2009. At his
scale it never made sense to maintain an IT department.

I work for Defence Housing Australia. We manage something like 17,000
properties around Australia, and a fairly complicated relocations
business with specific requirements set by Defence. We also have a
largish corporate network covering a couple of dozen sites all over
Australia. IT and the applications we provide and maintain is central
to the effective operation of the business. We can't just use Google
Apps and we can't survive without our customised applications, as poor
as they currently are.

Only the smallest businesses that run on Excel spreadsheets can throw IT
away. Larger businesses and government departments rely on heavily
customised or entirely custom built applications. Outsourcing
development of such systems is the best way to ensure you don't get what
you need.

> Forget complex processor technology or clever storage solutions.

"clever" storage solutions are just big boxes full of cheap disks.
They're easy and everybody is already doing it. Nothing new here.

This article is a whole lot of wrong interpersed with a few bits of
nothing new.
Sam Couter         |  mailto:sam at couter.id.au