[clug] Linux mobo - good and cheap

Algis Kabaila akabaila at pcug.org.au
Thu Jan 1 07:30:12 GMT 2009

On Thu, 1 Jan 2009 17:36:17 Daniel Pittman  wrote:
> Message: 10
> Date: Thu, 01 Jan 2009 17:35:22 +1100
> From: Daniel Pittman <daniel at rimspace.net>
> Subject: Re: [clug] Linux mobo - good and cheap
> To: CLUG List <linux at lists.samba.org>
>
> "Chris Smart" <mail at christophersmart.com> writes:
> > 2009/1/1 Algis Kabaila <akabaila at pcug.org.au>
> >
> >> Happy New Year to you'all!  I have the urge (need?) to put together a
> >> PC that is Linux friendly, i.e. on which I (an old mug) would be able
> >> to install a fancy openSUSE11.x without first facing a not so fancy
> >> blank screen with a message "out of range" on my 22" LCD screen (BenQ
> >> FP222W).
> >>
> >> Besides, holding a screw driver in my hands would be a really good
> >> new experience for me...
> >>
> >> I am not looking for anything fancy and would like the video to be on
> >> the M/B. Can someone recommend a M/B? Cost is important - the lower,
> >> the better.
> >
> > If going the integrated video route, then beware ATI/AMD as their
> > proprietary driver really isn't great (you might get away with the
> > open source radeon driver, but you'd need to research first).
>
> The same ATI/AMD who just released the specifications required for full,
> open 3D support on their hardware, right?  Yeah, the binary driver will
> suck for the next six months — but beyond that they are a much better
> choice.
>
> If you don't need 3D today, and want it to perform at the high end
> later, they are probably the better choice, but...
>
> > I'd go an Intel box with Intel VGA if possible as they have great
> > Linux support. But then these usually cost slightly more. But then
> > Intel VGA usually has no DVI.
>
> ...the Intel chips are the best choice if you don't care about 3D games,
> since they are already open and well supported.  No wait time there.
>
> Just, whatever you do, don't be suckered into buying NVIDIA hardware on
> the premise that the binary driver is better today.

Thank you Chris and thank you Daniel for your replies.

After reading Daniel's reply, I realised that my question was "badly formed"
("mal formee) - I did not give some vital information for a considered
advice.

1. I do not care about the 3D games.

2. My blank screen "out of range" is the joy of a PC with NVIDIA chipset and
AMD 64 processor. I like the processor! It works fine with openSUSE10.3
(ubuntu is no better on my box), but goes belly up with openSUSE11.x with x 1
or 2.  I usually manage to eventually get a good resolution, but the time
wasted is too big a hassle to continue in my merry way of avoiding any
choices in hardware.

3. I would not mind putting in a video card, if it would ensure compatibility
with Linux AFA video is concerned.  Actually, I did buy on impulse an Asus
video card EAH3450 in the markets for $50.  Tried to google information about
it, but did not get anything encouraging and have not come around of putting
it in a box. The card is not very useful in its cardboard box.  :)  Any
suggestions there, bearing in mind that 3D games are of no interest to me?

Thank you again,
OldAl.

--
Dr Algis Kabaila