[clug] ADSL2+ speeds

Alex Satrapa grail at goldweb.com.au
Fri Feb 13 01:26:48 GMT 2009

On 13/02/2009, at 11:52 , Robert Edwards wrote:

> But, I also have a 3G mobile with Optus and they do have coverage (3G
> and GPRS) in both locations, so I got them to put a data plan onto
> my mobile service.

I must admit that my iPhone shows "3G" in many places that the
wireless 3G dongle stays green. The catch being that throughput on the
Optus network seems to top out at 1.5Mbps when I'm sitting right next
to the tower, and I get something approaching 1990 dialup speeds
everywhere else in Canberra.

If you check my "AirMe" photos on Facebook you'll get some idea of the
3G coverage area of Optus in Canberra. At some point in time AirMe
decided to stop using location services so most of the photos aren't
geotagged, but some of the photos give obvious geographic cues.

Alex