[clug] ADSL2+ speeds

Robert Edwards bob at cs.anu.edu.au
Fri Feb 13 00:52:59 GMT 2009

Alex Satrapa wrote:
> On 13/02/2009, at 10:30 , Steve Walsh wrote:
>
>> 3G = doesn't need explaining
>> NextG = HSPA
>> 3.5G = HSDPA
>
> Hrm... I was always under the impression that HSPDA was slower than 3G!
>
> Not that it matters, the bias for this modem or network is to drop to
> GSM as quickly as possible and stay there. At least the network we're on
> doesn't charge "normal" data rates when you drop off 3G.
>
> Alex

I recently spent a week camping at Katoomba followed a week or so later
by 2 weeks in Tassie (for LCA09 etc.). "3" doesn't know about Tassie at
all for their 3G network and don't have 3G coverage at Katoomba.

But, I also have a 3G mobile with Optus and they do have coverage (3G
and GPRS) in both locations, so I got them to put a data plan onto
my mobile service. The Optus plan gives me a fixed monthly limit, but
shares it across GPRS and 3G (where available). More expensive per GB
than my "3" plan, but heaps more coverage. So now I have both...hmmm...

Cheers,

Bob Edwards.