[clug] ADSL2+ speeds

Alex Satrapa grail at goldweb.com.au
Thu Feb 12 06:35:48 GMT 2009

On 12/02/2009, at 17:14 , steve jenkin wrote:

> Total distance to wall-plate from entry point: 2m
> Modem is connected by a std 1.2m phone patch lead.
> No splitter, no other devices on the line.
>
> I can't vouch for the Telstra cabling, and I can do nothing about
> it :-(

Well, if it's the same cabling that was giving you 5Mbps with ADSL1+,
I guess it's one of those "uneconomic to rectify" situations.

There were a few instances in the past where I've had customers report
a fault on a line, and the NDC/whoever tech inspecting the problem was
able to solve it by switching to a different pair between the exchange
and the nearest post.

It's rare that we find people these days prepared to put the effort in.

One of the prices we pay for cheap internet access is cheap service to
go with it.

Alex