[clug] Exercise and pay the bills!

Alex Satrapa grail at goldweb.com.au
Tue Feb 10 04:36:45 GMT 2009

On 10/02/2009, at 13:58 , Mike Carden wrote:
> I suspect that your favourite bike shop is confused. That's more like
> a Schmidt price. My Shimano, the DH-3N71 was about $160.

Confusion was all mine, somehow managing to confuse the leading "1"
with the vertical stroke of the $. Don't ask. But I can't find anyone
(in my extensive research of three phone calls) who can stock the
Schmidt hubs :(

> It's not rocket surgery. I have built up a few wheels following these
> simple instructions:
> http://www.sheldonbrown.com/wheelbuild.html

Ye gads! The tangential hyperlink distraction factor on that web site
is almost as bad as the Jargon File >.<

Interesting to note though, is that from the bike shop point of view
you can pay $150 for a light to go with the hub dynamo, or $200 for a
light with capacitor (because then the light stays on while the wheels
aren't turning). From my point of view, I'm paying $50 for an
ultracapacitor with a very expensive LED attached.

Now to figure out the DC-DC inverter to convert from variable dynamo
power to smooth(ish) 17V for the laptop. I guess the next part comes
down to just how much "ish" I can mix in to the "smooth".

Alex