[clug] Exercise and pay the bills!

Alex Satrapa grail at goldweb.com.au
Tue Feb 10 01:39:21 GMT 2009

On 10/02/2009, at 12:01 , Mike Carden wrote:

>> What, like this?
>
> http://michaelcarden.net/blog/?p=125

Exactly, though with the voltage regulated/stablilised and pumped up
to 17V to directly power the MacBook in my pannier. Hrmm... my
favourite cycle shop reckons the Shimano is about $300-400 - what sort
of price was the Schmidt that you looked at?

It's worth noting that these hub dynamos are only generating 3W or so
(the Schmidt is rated at 6V/3W), which is a small fraction of the
available power (I think my energy budget is 50-60W), but I guess over
the trip from home to work and back again I'd be generating about 20Wh
- enough to keep my laptop on standby if it can be delivered as 16.6V
to the MagSafe connection :)

$400 plus cost of lacing my wheel (that's not an activity I care to
undertake with my lack of training), with a lifetime generation of
somewhere in the order of perhaps 80kWh...

Alex