[clug] Re: Exercise and pay the bills! (linux Digest, Vol 74, Issue 5, Messages 2&9) [SEC=PERSONAL]

jm jeffm at ghostgun.com
Mon Feb 9 02:09:04 GMT 2009

Andrew Janke wrote:

> Still I can claim that I am more efficient than a car when riding to
> work if I ate some of the corn I am grow in my backyard for
> breakfast...  Now I reach for the corn _flakes_ instead then I
> probably should have taken the car.. :)
>
> Still I reckon a fair amount of energy went into making the car, but
> then this same energy went into the trucks/machines/cars/etc that made
> the cornflakes.

The energy in the building of the car is a sunken energy cost as you
already own it and would regardless. The same may be said in a slightly
different way about the food comsumption of an "average" person versus a
vegan. The point is moot, though interesting, as your not about to
change your food consumption to save energy. In fact your more likely to
exercise so that you can eat more of what you want. In which case as
this is a sunken energy cost you might as well derive some value out of
it by producing useful energy instead of it going into a heat sink
(friction, resistor, etc).
> As Antti said, gets far too complex far to fast.

yeah, enough to drive you insane. Hang on, isn't that what the day job
is for ;-).

Jeff.